Sponge Conservation Programs
With an exclusive focus on dive skills for monitoring our reefs, our Sponge Conservation Program has a minimum duration of two weeks. Training includes theoretical knowledge as well as practical experience organized in small groups. After the training period, your day to day is focused on surveying the ocean with our monitoring methodology. The data gathered is then used for analysis of regional interest.
- Know the importance of sponges and their function in coral reefs.
- Master your diving abilities in this delicate ecosystem.
- Understand why monitoring and protecting sponges is so important.
- 12 dives a week to explore the Bocas del Toro ecosystem.
What you will learn
- Sponge anatomy, feeding and reproduction.
- To identify different sponge growth forms.
- The most common sponge diseases and health indicators.
- Our monitoring technique and data entering.